Business woman and President of Nayor Joyeros Inc, established in 1985 in Old San Juan, relocated in 1995 at the San Juan Marriott Hotel in Condado, San Juan and actually, since 2003 with her specialized Jewelry Appraising offices located at 1018 Ashford Ave., Astor Bldg., Suite 3-C, Condado, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Comes from a family of gemologists and followed father’s footsteps in the jewelry business who, as a young teenager started cutting diamonds until he opened his own small cutting center in New York and later a retail jewelry shop in the mid 1940’s in Havana, Cuba moving later on to San Juan, Puerto Rico with his family in the 1960’s.
The family tradition in the jewelry business and next generation grew to include his children, Malena, the eldest, Alberto Jr., the youngest, and Berthy.
Since young, Berthy learned the importance and value of properly identifying and insuring, by means of a trustworthy and professional appraisal, those gems and pieces that represent something very important to most people.
With over 30 years of experience as a Jewelry Expert Appraiser and as a Graduate Gemologist from The Gemological Institute of America, GIA, Los Angeles, California in 1981, she decided to open her specialized office for such services in the year 2003 after relocating from the S.J. Marriott Hotel as: Nayor – Graduate Gemologists & Certified Jewelry Appraisers
Berthy Nayor - Cohn attends annual Seminars, Symposiums, Conferences and Workshops on Appraising, on Gemology with all its latest developments and latest equipments available, Jewelry shows, Gem trade shows, USPAP ( U.S. Professional Appraisal Practice ) Federal Regulations and Appraisal Association conferences among others ( Tucson, Arizona - New York - Atlanta, Ga. - Chicago, Illinois - Miami, Florida - Cleveland, Ohio -Pittsburg, Pa. - etc).
Courses in Grading, Appraising, and Identification of Diamonds and Colored Stones, Identification of Precious Metals, Certifications and Jewelry Appraisals.
Seminars including updates in Emeralds, Sapphires, Rubies, Treatment in Gems, Synthetic Colored Stones, Synthetic Diamonds, Diamond Treatments and Synthetic Moissanite.
Specialized courses in Identification, Grading and Evaluation of Diamonds.
Specialized courses in Identification, Evaluation and Grading of Colored Stones, their Synthetics and treatments.
Determine pearl quality using GIA’s 7 Pearl Value Factors: size, shape, color, luster, surface quality, nacre quality, and matching. Post-harvest treatments, imitation pearls, and pearl-testing practices. Pearl trends and classifications, Akoya, South Seas, Tahitians, etc.
- BBA in Business Administration, degree obtained in 1980
- Diamonds Diploma obtained in 1981 at G.I.A., Gemological Institute of America, Ca.
- Colored Stones Diploma obtained 1981 at G.I.A. Gemological Institute of America,Ca.
- Graduate Gemologist Degree obtained in 1982 at G.I.A., Gemological Institute of America in Los Angeles, California
- Graduate Pearls - obtained in 2008 - G.I.A.
- Diamond Identification, Grading and Evaluation, 1981 - Present
- Colored Stone Grading, Evaluation and Identification, 1982 - Present
- Jewelry Manufacturing, Identification of Metals, 1982 - Present
- Jewelry Appraising, 1982 - Present
- Advanced Gemology, 2004 - Present
- USPAP Seminars -United States Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice , 2007 - present
- Updated Seminars and Laboratories in Advanced Gemology including Moissanite, Synthetic Diamonds, Stone Treatments, etc., 2004 – Present ( New York - Tucson, Arizona - Chicago, Illinois - Atlanta- Florida-Cleveland, Ohio Pittsburg, Pa. etc. )
- Pearl Identification, Grading and Evaluation, 2008 - Present
- Actual Market Analysis on Jewelry, their different era’s and Present Values
- Expert Witness Seminar - 2011
- G.I.A. Continuous Education Programs - 2008 - Present
- G.I.A. Gems & Gemology Challenge Programs-Examinations 2008 - Present